Autor Thema:  1/2256 Fleet Commissions  (Gelesen 1870 mal)

Offline nicholassagan

• Candidate
    • Modeling Blog
1/2256 Fleet Commissions
« am: 21. Januar 2013, 21:38:24 »
A German fellow was super interested in my first MC-80 build so much so that he commissioned me to build a more studio-accurate version. While embarking upon that errant venture (ha!) he asked if I would do a Dreadnaught, too. So here they are! There's also a few support ships that will be added to the mix. Each of the larger builds will have a mirrored base and will be powered by wall warts.

Here are the previous build posts:
http://nicholassagan.wordpress.com/2012/11/12/bench-update-12256-mc-80-mon-calamari-cruiser-commission/
http://nicholassagan.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/bench-update-12256-dreadnaught-commission/

Anigrand's MC-80: First step was to fill all those obnoxious panel lines. They're HUGE. Sanding them took a while but I think it will pay off in the end.

JPG's Dreadnaught: Had to hollow the UnWort out of this one. What a beast! Then had to go back in a fix a bunch of holes I accidentally punched through.

Offline Benny

• TB 34934
  • Globaler Moderator
  • Vize Admiral
  • TB 34934
Re:1/2256 Fleet Commissions
« Antwort #1 am: 21. Januar 2013, 21:45:14 »
I am really looing forward to see some more progress with those......

I know the resin-block calles Dready... nice ship but kinda supersolid. Good work with the two.  :thumbup:

Smooth is easy, easy is fast.

Offline struschie

• Fach-Moderator
  • Vize Admiral
  • Strahl Demokratische Republik
« Antwort #2 am: 22. Januar 2013, 06:36:32 »
Good to see you post some new nifty work here.

Concerning the rescriping: Don't you ecxpect problems, as the resin and the putty have different strength?
Keep posting (with much pitchers for those of us whom love these more than reading ;D )

Offline Hacker Stefan

• King of OT
  • Vize Admiral
« Antwort #3 am: 22. Januar 2013, 11:00:57 »
Sweet! Both look pretty good so far. Must be a paint to fill all the panellines with putty. 

You do this for an german fellow? Who? Do we know him?
BAVARIAN MODEL BERSERKER

Offline nicholassagan

• Candidate
    • Modeling Blog
« Antwort #4 am: 22. Januar 2013, 16:20:31 »
yeah it was a pain to fill and a pain to sand!! i used small bits of sand paper and various grits and widths of sanding sticks... ugh

not too worried about the density/strength differences because primer and paint will "seal" it in decently enough.

stay tuned!  and the guy's name is eduard (can't say his last name!)...i don't know if he does much building himself, but he has commissioned others to do work. these 2 are to add to his growing OT-era 1/2256 fleet. he already has a nebulon b and star destroyer, so the both of these are to help both sides of the battle!

and stefan, he'll definitely be a customer for the victory-class. for sure.
« Letzte Änderung: 22. Januar 2013, 17:14:54 von nicholassagan »

Offline Hacker Stefan

• King of OT
  • Vize Admiral
« Antwort #5 am: 22. Januar 2013, 16:45:44 »
Cool! Edu? Never heard of him before but maybe he could join the gang and show his 1:2256 scale collection.
« Letzte Änderung: 22. Januar 2013, 17:23:36 von ZbV3000Germany »
BAVARIAN MODEL BERSERKER

Offline TWN

• Slow Hand Builder
  • Administrator
  • Fleet Admiral
  • In magnis et voluisse sat est
    • TWNs Sammlung
« Antwort #6 am: 22. Januar 2013, 17:17:19 »
Cool! Edu? Never heard of him before but maybe he could join the gang and show his 1:2256 scale collection.

Ist zugelassen  ;)
« Letzte Änderung: 22. Januar 2013, 17:23:12 von ZbV3000Germany »
Ex nihilo aliquid fit

Offline nicholassagan

• Candidate
    • Modeling Blog
« Antwort #7 am: 22. Januar 2013, 17:21:43 »
sorry, but please remove his last name from your posts...

Offline TWN

• Slow Hand Builder
  • Administrator
  • Fleet Admiral
    • TWNs Sammlung
« Antwort #8 am: 22. Januar 2013, 17:24:26 »
sorry, but please remove his last name from your posts...

Done
Ex nihilo aliquid fit

Offline TWN

• Slow Hand Builder
  • Administrator
  • Fleet Admiral
    • TWNs Sammlung
« Antwort #9 am: 22. Januar 2013, 17:59:09 »
Hi RedZedD, nice to meet you, please introduce yourself here ==> http://www.phoxim.de/forum/index.php?board=2.0  ;)
Thank you  :)
Ex nihilo aliquid fit

Offline nicholassagan

• Candidate
    • Modeling Blog
« Antwort #10 am: 22. Januar 2013, 19:44:26 »
Awesome to see you here Eduard! Imperial it is!!

Offline nicholassagan

• Candidate
    • Modeling Blog
« Antwort #11 am: 14. Februar 2013, 23:14:00 »
Lotta work on these commission pieces. My camera was out of commission but I found a way to share.  Ok…so…I did a little extra detailing on the Transport. Nothing too major. I might knock down the heavy panels a little bit. They just stick out way too much.

Added some extra bulges here and there; I’ll add the bridge module later once it’s pieced together and the other surface detailing begins. The wings were also attached so it’s starting to take shape!

Also poured over all my screen caps to get a reasonably accurate layout of all the windows then I marked where each section will go. There definitely won’t be as many as on my last build, but there will be a lot. One thing I’m doing differently is using a smaller gauge drill bit and fiber optic. While .5mm is good in a lot of cases, it’s a little inaccurate for the scale so I’m using #77 bits and .25mm fiber. It’ll be a very good look.

I also spent a good chunk of time taking the pieces to town with my Dremel. In order to get windows to certain places along the tail I had to route out sections. I’ll of course have to fill and re-detail them, but again, it’s all for the sake of matching the studio model.  The hangar was also cut out so I could detail it and get that nice side light effect.

Oh, and thanks to some friends and some time spent with screen caps, I have a TON of really good reference shots showing surface detailing. There are a ton of wires and things and bits here and there that the model doesn’t have. That’ll be fun.  You might also notice a bit of warpage still with the main hull parts. I’m not too concerned with this as it will go away once the halves get joined. I might put a vertical brace in the inside near where the  power plug will be just so there isn’t atrocious warping down the line.